- Einecs Number 220-844-5
- HMIS 2-3-0-X
- Molecular Formula C5H14OSi
- Molecular Weight (g/mol) 118.25
- Purity (%) 97%
- TSCA No
- Boiling Point (˚C/mmHg) 53-55/11
- Density (g/mL) 0.945
- Flash Point (˚C) 56 °C
- Refractive Index @ 20˚C 1.436
Review of synthetic utility.1
Serves as an alcohol equivalent in reaction with aryl iodides.2
Can provide protection for the anomeric center of carbohydrates.3
F&F: Vol. 8, p 510.
1. Handbook of Reagents for Organic Synthesis, Reagents for Silicon-Mediated Organic Synthesis, Fuchs, P. L. Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., 2011, p. 622-627.
2. >Dibakar, M. et al. Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 41, 5338.
3. Sowell, C. G. et al. Tetrahedron Lett. 1996, 37, 609.
Specialty Silicon-Based Blocking Agent
Used as a protecting group for reactive hydrogens in alcohols, amines, thiols, and carboxylic acids. Organosilanes are hydrogen-like, can be introduced in high yield, and can be removed under selective conditions. They are stable over a wide range of reaction conditions and can be removed in the presence of other functional groups, including other protecting groups. The tolerance of silylated alcohols to chemical transformations summary is presented in Table 1 of the Silicon-Based Blocking Agents brochure.