- Einecs Number 242-040-3
- HMIS 2-3-1-X
- Molecular Formula C6H12N2Si
- Molecular Weight (g/mol) 140.26
- Purity (%) 97%
- TSCA Yes
- Boiling Point (˚C/mmHg) 99/14
- Density (g/mL) 0.956
- Flash Point (˚C) 40 °C
- Refractive Index @ 20˚C 1.4756
Review of synthetic utility.1
Shown to open an epoxide in a syn fashion.2
F&F: Vol. 2, p 412; Vol. 3, p 148; Vol. 7, p 399; Vol. 11, p 575.
1. Handbook of Reagents for Organic Synthesis, Reagents for Silicon-Mediated Organic Synthesis, Fuchs, P. L. Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., 2011, p. 640-645.
2. Adam, W. et al. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1991, 113, 8005.
Trimethylsilyl Blocking Agent
Used as a protecting group for reactive hydrogens in alcohols, amines, thiols, and carboxylic acids. Organosilanes are hydrogen-like, can be introduced in high yield, and can be removed under selective conditions. They are stable over a wide range of reaction conditions and can be removed in the presence of other functional groups, including other protecting groups. The tolerance of silylated alcohols to chemical transformations summary is presented in Table 1 of the Silicon-Based Blocking Agents brochure.
Trimethylsilylimidazole; TMSIM; 1-(Trimethylsilyl)imidazole