To search by structure, left click in the box below to display the chemdraw toolbar. Then, draw the chemical structure of interest in the box using the toolbar. When your structure is complete, click “Search by Name” or “Search by SMILES” to generate the product name or SMILES respectively. This feature will search within the Gelest product database for matching chemical names or SMILES. Note: In cases where Gelest uses alternate chemical names, it may be necessary to search for the product of interest by its CAS#.
- Einecs Number 242-273-0
- HMIS 3-2-1-X
- Molecular Formula C8H18Cl2Si
- Molecular Weight (g/mol) 213.22
- TSCA Yes
- Boiling Point (˚C/mmHg) 190-191
- Density (g/mL) 1.009
- Flash Point (˚C) 61
- Melting Point (˚C) -15°
- Refractive Index @ 20˚C 1.4561
Review of synthetic utility.1
Reagent for protection of 1,2 and 1,3 diols.2
Used as the source for di-tert-butylsilylene, in particular for the thermal silylene precursor, 1-silabicyclo[4.2.0]heptane.3 The silabicycloheptane di-tert-butylsilylene precursor has been utilized in a number of synthetic applications.4,5,6
1. Handbook of Reagents for Organic Synthesis, Reagents for Silicon-Mediated Organic Synthesis, Fuchs, P. L. Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., 2011, p. 201-207.
2. Trost, B. et al. Tetrahedron Lett. 1981, 22, 4999.
3. Driver, T. G.; Franz, A. K.; Woerpel, K. A. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2002, 124, 6524.
4. Driver, T. G.; Woerpel, K. A. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 9993.
5. Driver, T. G.; Woerpel, K. A. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 10659.
6. Howard, B. E.; Woerpel, K. A. Org. Lett. 2007, 9, 4651.
Bridging Silicon-Based Blocking Agent
Used as a protecting group for reactive hydrogens in alcohols, amines, thiols, and carboxylic acids. Organosilanes are hydrogen-like, can be introduced in high yield, and can be removed under selective conditions. They are stable over a wide range of reaction conditions and can be removed in the presence of other functional groups, including other protecting groups. The tolerance of silylated alcohols to chemical transformations summary is presented in Table 1 of the Silicon-Based Blocking Agents brochure.
Di-tert-butyldichlorosilane; Bis(1,1-dimethylethyl)dichlorosilane; Dichlorobis(1,1-dimethylethyl)silane; DTBS