To search by structure, left click in the box below to display the chemdraw toolbar. Then, draw the chemical structure of interest in the box using the toolbar. When your structure is complete, click “Search by Name” or “Search by SMILES” to generate the product name or SMILES respectively. This feature will search within the Gelest product database for matching chemical names or SMILES. Note: In cases where Gelest uses alternate chemical names, it may be necessary to search for the product of interest by its CAS#.
All structures are computer generated. Please rely on the product data below for placing your order. If you see any errors in structures, please email customer service so that they can be addressed.
Boiling Point: 75°
EINECS Number: 214-673-5
Melting Point: -71°
Molecular Weight: 179.97
Specific Gravity: 1.930
Flashpoint: 12°C (54°F)
HMIS Key: 3-4-2-X
Hydrolytic Sensitivity: 8: reacts rapidly with moisture, water, protic solvents
Application: Pure GeCl2 may be provided by cooling to -30° and pulling vacuum.1,2
Complex with 2 moles ether reduces nitro compounds and ferric chloride.3,4
Hydrogermylates olefins without catalyst.5,6
Undergoes superacid reactions with aromatics.7,8
Reference: 1. Schwarz, R. et al. Z. Anor. Allg. Chem. 1954, 275, 1.
2. Brauer, G. Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry, 717, Academic, 1963.
3. Craddock, S. et al. Inorg. Chem. 1967, 6, 1751.
4. Creemers, H. et al. J. Organomet. Chem. 1967, 7, 237.
5. Lesbre, M. et al. The Organic Compounds of Germanium, 223, Wiley, 1971.
6. Wolfsberger, W. J. Praktische Chem. 1992, 334, 453.
7. Kolosnikov, S. Main Group Metal Chem. 1989, 12, 305.
8. Kolosnikov, S. Chem. Abstr. 110, 114984u; Izv. Akad. Nauk. Ser. Khim. 1988, 3, 666.
Additional Properties: Hazy liquidDecomposes >140°, yielding Ge, HCl, GeCl4Vapor pressure, -10°: 9.2 mmVapor pressure, 20°: 80 mm